Please call 1-877-268-2911or email email@example.com to speak with a representative if you have any questions that are not answered here.
Below are answers from the most often asked questions about our Luxury Villas in Costa Rica:
1. Which airport should I fly into? When searching for flights, please make sure to choose the Liberia Airport (LIR) as your destination as this is the closest to the resort (about 1 hour 15 minutes).
2. What is the process for getting to Recreo from the airport? Rental cars are recommended. The drive to the resort takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Please consult our location page for detailed driving directions. The number for the welcome center at Recreo is 506-2-676-1230.
3. Is airport transportation (from Liberia) included in my package? Airport transfers are not included in the standard villa rental rate. Please consult the rates page for specific package inclusions.
4. How are the roads to Recreo? The resort is located 20 minutes from La Cruz, which is a small town with access directly off the well maintained Pan American Highway. From La Cruz, it's about a 20 minute drive before arriving to recreo. (Since the road is paved now). Total driving time from the airport to Recreo is 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Is it possible to fly into the San Jose airport? There are a few options if you fly into the Juan Santamaria International Airport (San Jose) although less convenient than flying into Liberia. You could rent a car and drive (about 4 ½ to 5 hours) or fly one of the in-country airlines to the Liberia airport. Go to www.natureair.com or www.flysansa.com for flight schedules and prices from San Jose to Liberia. Keep in mind that Nature Air only flies out of the Pavas airport which is a 10 minute taxi ride from the Juan Santamaria Intl airport.
6. Are meals included? Meals are not included in the villa rental price. Please consult the rates page for specific package inclusions.
7. What types of activities are included in the Resort fee of $50 per person? Amenities and equipment at Recreo included in your package are the tennis court and equipment, basketball court, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing equipment (for fishing off the beach), the fitness center , wifi in the welcome center, use of the Mountain Top Lookout and padded teak beach loungers. Please note that not all activities are available year round. Please consult a representative for details. Children are always free at Recreo.
8. Are there ATV’s or motorized water sports available onsite? At Recreo we strive to minimize the noise disturbance to both animals and people and the environmental impact of the activities offered onsite and so have decided not to offer motorized land or water machines as part of the activities available to our guests. ATV’s are available through some of the offsite tour operators.
9. Is there surfing nearby? The beaches immediately surrounding Recreo are great for swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, kite and wind surfing, but are not good for traditional surfing. There are several options for surfing day trips. Please see the digital brochure for a complete list.
10. What is not included in my package? Additional expenses might include gratuities, airport and offsite excursion transportation, offsite tour costs, and boat tours. 13% tax not included in standard rate. Please note that not all activities are available year round. Please consult a representative for details.
11. What are the amenities available in the villas? Each villa comes with a private pool, furnished outdoor balconies or patios, private bathrooms, gourmet kitchens, fully equipped living areas with DVD, CD players, Ipod hookups, plasma screen television (in the living area only), Satellite TV, fans, indoor/outdoor dining areas, water coolers, safety box, air conditioning in the bedrooms, spa bathrooms, bathrobes, Raw Botanicals shampoo and body wash, hair dryers, washer, dryer, iron and ironing board and board games.
12. How do I get around the resort? Rental cars are allowed on the estate and guests can park in front of their villa in most cases. For those not renting a car, recreo offers shuttle services to the beach and back
13. Do you have a minimum number of nights requirement? We suggest that you stay with us for at least three nights and preferably between 5 to 7 nights. This suggestion is in place so that you can fully enjoy all of the amenities that are available to you at recreo.
14. Are there drinks available at the Mountain Top Lookout? The Mountain Top Lookout is not currently staffed with a bartender, but you are welcome to pack a cooler with drinks and snacks to enjoy while you are there taking in the incredible views!
15. Is the water safe to drink? Water quality varies throughout Costa Rica. Because many travelers’ digestive systems are sensitive, we recommend drinking bottled water.
16.Do you allow pets? At Recreo, we strive to minimize our impact on the surrounding wilderness and wildlife from domesticated animals and therefore ask that you leave your pets at home.
17. Are the villas air conditioned? Each bedroom in the villa has its own air conditioner. The common areas enjoy ocean breezes and are equipped with fans.
18. What is the security like at the resort? The property is gated and has a 24 hour security guard.
19. Are there lots of bugs? We work daily to keep the bugs and critters at bay using environmentally sensitive products and techniques, but keep in mind that the resort is surrounded by rainforest and national parks and there is only so much we can do to keep out the undesirable creatures and not harm the “good” ones.
20. Is your resort handicapped accessible? All areas are not handicapped accessible. If you have special mobility requirements, please inform us so that we may address your needs to help make your stay as comfortable as possible.
21. What is customary for tipping? Though tipping is completely at your discretion, an appropriate general tip would be $5 to $10 per person per day that you are attended to by them.
22. What is the temperature like? The temperature is consistently in the mid to high 80’s, low 90’s during the day, and mid-70’s at night.
23. What are the different seasons in Costa Rica? Costa Rica has only two seasons: dry and green! The dry season with very little rain is generally between late December and April and the green or wet season lasts the rest of the year - May through November.
24. What is the weather like in the green season? The green season lasts from May through November, but still offers an average of about 3 to 5 hours of daily sunshine. There is even a mini “dry season” in July. It is the time of year when, for most of the country, you may get some rain during your travels. And, it's also the less crowded, off-peak season. Many people actually prefer to vacation during the green season, as the pace is slower, the rates are less, and, of course, it's greener! You could be here for a week and see no rain, or you might see afternoon or night time showers, or perhaps several days of clouds, drizzle and rain.
25. What is the time difference in Costa Rica? Costa Rica Standard Time is 6 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT-6), same as Chicago and St. Louis. Costa Rica does not operate Daylight-Saving Time, so the time difference is an additional hour April through October.
26. Will I need to bring an adapter? Electric Voltage in Costa Rica is 110 V, the same as the United States.
27. What is the form of currency and do I need to exchange my money before I arrive? American Dollars and Costa Rican Colones are accepted everywhere - the closest ATM is in La Cruz, a 15-minute drive from Recreo.
28. Can I use my credit card or will I need cash? Credit cards are accepted at Recreo for all purchases onsite. Most offsite tour locations accept credit cards, but not all. The Day Tour inside Nicaragua is one example and for this tour, dollars are preferred.
29. Are there security boxes at Recreo to put my valuables in? All villas have security boxes for your valuables.
30. Will I need any vaccinations to travel to Costa Rica? Most travelers do not need vaccinations or special medications when visiting Costa Rica. Pharmacies are located in most towns and cities, including La Cruz, the closest town to recreo.
31. What kinds of Medical and emergency services are available? A local clinic is just minutes from recreo and can handle any basic needs. There is also a hospital in Liberia which is about 1 hour away and life flight services are available.
32. Is there a pharmacy nearby? There is a pharmacy in La Cruz, a 15 minute drive from Recreo.
33. Is there nightlife in the area? We are in a remote and very private location surrounded by beaches, national parks and rain forest with few hotels and very small towns in the nearby vicinity. This remoteness affords our guests the opportunity to truly immerse themselves in the beauty of the natural surroundings. There are a few local restaurants that serve traditional Costa Rican cuisine and are a nice option if you would like to get a taste for the local atmosphere. Recreo’s beach is not heavily touristed and there is not a lot of “nightlife” nearby.
34. How far is the beach from the resort? Playa Rajada is 5 minutes by car or a 10 minute walk from most villas.
35. Is the resort child friendly? Costa Rica is a very family and child friendly country in general and at Recreo, we do our utmost to accommodate the needs of families with children. Baby cribs, pack –n- plays, car seats, beach and pool toys and high-chairs are available upon request.
36. Will my child need a car seat? As of August 1st, 2009, car seats and or booster seats are required for children under the age of 12 years old and should be reserved in advance. If you will be using Recreo transportation please let us know ahead of time if you will be requiring a car seat. If you are renting a car, they will have seats available for an additional fee. Here are the guidelines for choosing which option is best for your child:
Booster: 30 lbs, 57" tall
Car Seats: 20-50lbs
Infant car seats 5lbs +
37. Do I need to bring my own beach towels? Beach towels are provided in each villa.
38. Are there laundry services onsite? Each of the villas includes a washer and dryer. Laundry service is included for guests choosing the all inclusive option.
39. What type of clothing is recommended? Recreo promotes a casual, relaxed atmosphere. This relaxed environment eliminates the need for dress clothes or jewelry. Lightweight, drip-dry cotton separates (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, skirts or sarongs) sandals, bathing suits, and a hat. If you are planning on hiking, you may want to throw in a pair of sneakers, and many people bring water socks if they're going to be snorkeling or tubing on a day trip to the Volcano. Also, bring a darker colored bathing suit that would hide any possible discolorations from a trip to the volcanic mudbaths!
40. Will my cell phone work in Costa Rica? Please check with your provider prior to leaving your departure country to see if they provide service in Costa Rica, but more importantly what the cost is. Not many US cell phones work in Costa Rica and when they do, the per minute rates are around $4.00. In addition, Recreo is located in a remote area and even if your provider does offer service, it may not work in our area.
41. How do I call home from Recreo? You are welcome to use the phone in the welcome center at a cost of .50 cents a minute. You can also purchase a calling card in the welcome center or at any grocery store and use this in the welcome center as well. Some rental car companies can rent a Costa Rican cell phone as well.
42. Do I need to schedule offsite excursions prior to my arrival? Most tours and excursions can be arranged onsite. Overnight excursions and golf should be scheduled prior to your arrival to ensure availability. For a complete list of tours and activities, see our digital brochure or request a transportation and tours price sheet.
43. Is there WiFi in the villa? Although you may pick up the WiFi signal in your villa, because of our remote location and local weather patterns, it is not a reliable connection and cannot be guaranteed. There is, however a more reliable connection available in the welcome center.